Sunday, December 28, 2014

JAMAICA!

Well...I am in Jamaica!  I made it through my first plane ride, and couldn't get over how gorgeous the views were. Look at this picture, it was right before we landed in Jamaica:
I was little bit nervous since I had never flown before, but it all worked out fine, and I enjoyed the trip!  When the plane was landing we got very close to the water, it was both amazing and scary.  Once I got off of the plane, claimed my baggage, got through customs, and found my ride, I was exhausted, it took forever!  The Montego Bay airport was much different than the BWI airport.  BWI was huge and Montego Bay is this tiny little airport.  The first thing I noticed when I got into the car was that they drive on the opposite side of the road--I guess I should've known that but I was very surprised (I tried to get in on the drivers side--oops)!

Shortly after leaving the airport I reached my host's house.  Her name is Christine Dexter, and she is a retired teacher-perfect for me!  I got settled in, unpacked, called my family, and then we had dinner. We had chicken, rice, potatoes, and salad--a typical Jamaican meal. I also got to meet another volunteer who is staying at the same house as me.  She is from Austria and is super nice.  We are going to go to meet some of the other volunteers later tonight.  Tomorrow another volunteer will be coming and she is from the United States so I will have something in common with her.  

Tomorrow is my orientation day so I am hoping to feel more settled in after that.  I will be taking the taxi to get to my placement, meeting the workers at the children's home, and changing my money over to Jamaican dollars.  I am nervous being this far from home but know that it will be a great experience.  Can't wait to update you tomorrow!

Also, I am being placed at the West Haven Children's Home.  I am very excited.  The home is for severely disabled children (and adults too!) and I am looking forward to comparing the care received here in Jamaica to care given in the US.  You can read more about the home here.

No comments:

Post a Comment