Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Bringing in the New Year

The second day on my own was so much better than the first.  I did fine taking the taxis and made it to the school just fine.  I had to ask for help again, but people are friendly and willing to give directions.

My day at the school was much better.  I went to a different building at the home and was able to help out some different children.  This building was a home for all of the older girls.  It is called the "Mission House" and is set up different then the Veira House.  This house had the beds (about 15 beds) but they were in a back room with the bathrooms.  They had a common room where there was a radio, the kids loved it!

I did feed and bathe the children again but I was also able to play with them and just talk to them.  Keno and Kerri Ann particularly enjoyed my company.  I played hand games with them such as Miss Mary Mack, and also played I Spy which they loved! We played and sang songs and talked for about two hours, it was awesome to hear them laughing and enjoying themselves.  

Kerry Ann particularly enjoyed singing, I wasn't able to take a video but I was able to find a video of her singing four years ago.  she actually looks very much the same, she is just as sweet and just as cute! 


The children were also teaching me how to speak some words in Patois, which is the language that Jamaican's speak.  It is very hard for me to understand, but I was happy they were able to teach me some!  Today they taught me how to say "hello", it is pronounced, "wahguan".  

It was another beautiful day on the beach, and I enjoyed a dinner of pork, rice, potatoes, carrots and peas, and pasta. 

I brought in the new year with my host by watching the local Jamaican channels and seeing the fireworks.  It was low key, but perfect for me :) Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment