Sunday, January 4, 2015

My First Full Weekend

This weekend has been exhausting but also so much fun!  On Saturday, Tae and I left at about 9:30am to head to the bus park in order to catch a bus to Ocho Rios.  The bus park is a little bit scary, drivers often fight over who is going to drive you, it is a very hectic place!  Luckily, we had no problems and were able to find room on a bus and leave within 30 minutes.  Sometimes you can wait up to an hour because the drivers won't leave until the bus is full.

We were on our way to Ocho Rios because we wanted to go to Dunns River Falls which is a place where you can climb this waterfall and hang out on the beach.  The ride took about 2 hours and then we had to pay for our ticket, get water shoes (see the picture below :)) and get a locker for all of our stuff.  The river falls were very touristy but we had a great time.  The climb up the falls was at times a little bit slippery but it was very fun!  We got to go down a little waterslide, and jump into a pool on the way up.  The guide was very funny and was always getting our group to chant and to do silly things.
Tae and I after finishing the climb!

Here are a few pictures from the day, overall I had a great time!

We got back around 7pm and ate a dinner of some kind of fish (still had the head on--I was not too sure about that part!), a different kind of bread, and salad.






Here I am in front of the falls!
Today I spent my whole day at the beach!  It was a great beach day, the sun was shining and there was a nice breeze.  The high today was 86 degrees!  I don't know how I am going to go back to the cold in less than a week!

While at the beach I was able to do some snorkeling and explore.  I saw many tiny little fish and some cool rocks and shells.  My favorite thing that I saw was an eel.  After looking it up tonight I found out that it was a sharp tail eel.  There is a picture below this that looks very similar to what I saw.  




I spent a lot of time reading in the sun and just relaxing.  It was a nice to chill out before I begin my busy week of volunteering.  I am so excited to see the children again tomorrow--I may even get to see how their school is!

Tonight for dinner we had curried goat mutton (definitely not my favorite thing!), rice, mac and cheese, salad, and baked plantains.  The plantains were so delicious!


Sun beginning to set!


No comments:

Post a Comment