Friday, January 9, 2015

My Last Day at West Haven

I can't believe that today was my final day at West Haven.  While the two weeks went slowly they also went very fast.  I am going to miss the children, they have made me feel so welcome and I have learned so much!  While it was a shock for me to see how different the care is outside of the United States, it was beneficial for me to see that first hand.  I can now appreciate the care that is available in the US even more and can hope that one day every person, regardless of where they live, will have that care available to them.

Today at West Haven there were so many volunteers everywhere!  Two different groups had decided to spend the day helping out, and it was very chaotic!  Most of the children were thrilled to have so many volunteers, they each had someone to talk to, but for some children the amount of people was a little overwhelming!  I know how great it is that all of these volunteers come and spend time with the children and help out where they can.  However, it is very upsetting for me to see how it is always the same children getting the attention, people like to go to the more capable and interactive children.  Which makes perfect sense, they are fun and exciting.  But, there are so many children who just lie in bed all day, and while they won't be able to tell you thank you or laugh with you, they need the attention!

Each day that I have been at West Haven I make sure to spend a few minutes with each of the children who are bed ridden.  I talk with them, tell them stories, bathe them, anything to interact.  Many of them can't talk to me as I am with them, but just because the children are bedridden doesn't mean that they don't want someone to talk to!  They probably need and want it even more!  All they are able to do is stare at a ceiling all day, so I am sure that they appreciate seeing a different face every now and again.

Today I spent a great deal of time talking with Romario.  He is 19, my same age, and has been at West Haven for 14 years the nurse told me.  He lies in his bed most of the time, unless a nurse decides to bring him to the main room where he lies on a beanbag and watches tv.  While he was laying in his bed I helped to bathe and clothe him and then just spent some time talking to him.  He couldn't respond to me with words, but he was laughing and smiling and having a great time.  here is a picture of him:
Romario :)
Another child who often gets left out of the mix when volunteers come is Crystal.  I have spent a lot of time with her throughout my stay at West Haven and have found that she is actually capable of so much more than what people think.  We spent a lot of time sitting and talking, and she is able to answer questions, it may take some time for her to form her thoughts into words, but she is able.  Here is a video of Crystal that I took today:
It was sad leaving today, but I have learned so much through this short visit.  As I mentioned above, the care is so different, and I wish that West Haven had the resources to make it a better environment for these children.  They are all so happy, but the sad thing is that they have no idea how different their lives could be with different care.  I am going to miss the children but am hoping to send them letters to stay in touch.

Tonight for our last dinner Ms. Dexter bought Chinese food, tasted just like at home!  Excited to be coming home tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment