Friday, January 2, 2015

Yet Another Wonderful Day

Today, just like the past few days I made my trip up to West Haven Children's Home.  I've pretty much figured out the taxis, or at least how to ask for help :)  The ride was bumpy just as it always seems to be--the roads have so many potholes!

While at West Haven today, I was able to assist with feeding and bathing (as usual) and then spent the majority of my time coloring, playing, and talking with the children.  I helped out again at the Mission Jamaica House because they seemed to need a lot of help, there are about 20 kids in the house and not enough hands to help!


 After feeding a couple of the children their usual porridge for breakfast I went to talk to some of the children.  We again played some games such as I Spy, concentration, hand games, and of course singing.  Today I was lucky enough to have Kerry Ann agree to be videotaped as she was singing.  I cannot decide on a favorite, so here they both are!



In addition I also colored with many of the older children.  Being here has helped me to remember how lucky we really are.  These children had a pack of crayons and some five page coloring books and they were acting like it was Christmas morning!  It is amazing how the littlest things can be the most important.  

I was also able to visit some of the other houses and spent a good bit of time in the house for younger children.  There are actually very few young children, the majority of the home is older children and young adults.  The little children are so playful and were so excited to see someone new.  I took may of them on walks around the different houses so that they could see some new scenery--most stay put on the porch of whatever house they live in :(  Derrick, one little boy, loved to play with my hair!  He was actually more pulling my hair than playing with it, but he had fun :)

Here is Derrick!
I again want to reiterate how different the care given in Jamaica is to what would be given in America.  While the home is doing the best that they can given their circumstances (they are funded mostly on donations!) it is heartbreaking to see these children not reaching their full potential.

I finally got a phone so that I can call people here in Jamaica! It was another beautiful day at the beach, I think I could get used to going to the beach everyday :)  Tonight for dinner we had some seasoned rice (shocker...right?!) with chicken and vegetables which was yummy.







No comments:

Post a Comment